Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

Default Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

Featured Reef- May 2014

It is with great pleasure that I can announce we have a fantastic tank selected for Featured Reefs...yes it sure is more than 12 months from the last Featured Reef but we will be doing our best to bring this back on track. This fantastic tank, more or less on our doorsteps, is a brilliant example of what can be achieved with hard work, dedication, patience and a real passion for the hobby, we all share.

So big congratulations to Capt Nemo (Pete) on achieving this Featured Reef of the NIRC.

Please post any comments you may have on this thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TANK SIZE
    • 102 x 28 x 32 (inches)

SUMP SIZE
    • 60 x 18 x 18 (inches)

SYSTEM VOLUME
    • 1450 LITRES

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2771&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

INTRODUCTION & SYSTEM INFORMATION

I first stated keeping marine fish around 20 years ago when Alf from Grosvenor tropics built me my first marine tank. They were so much harder to keep back then and after a lot of heartache and trouble I broke my tank down after 18 months vowing never to try again. A few years back I stumbled on this site which reignited the passion for marine fish, along with seeing the members tanks and what an inspiration they were to me, that was the start of this latest venture. This site also introduced me to Seahorse and that shop was the start of things to come. I started out again with a small Jeuwel Rio conversion from GT and have progressed to this monster over the past few years. I must at this point say a huge thank you to all at Seahorse Aquariums who built this tank and for kealan and Daniel for all their paitence with me during the design period and to Raff for his great advice on coral and fish choices and not leaving out Jimmy and Kieth who built the tank on site.

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2362&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

SYSTEM DESIGN AND FEATURES

SUMP

The sump was designed by myself and has 6 chambers each with a drain valve so each chamber can be cleaned and drained independantly. Chamber 1 is the return from the tank and has 2 socks fitted to catch coarse materials in the water - chamber 2 is small and has filter media to catch most of the fine elements from the water - Chamber 3 houses the skimmer and reactor pump (waveline DC5000) which feeds all my reactors - Chamber 4 is the refugium which has a small light above it and contains Cheato and mirical mud in small containers so I can still drain this section if required - Chamber 5 is for the return Pump only - Chamber 6 is the RO section for auto top up unit and holds approx 30 LTRs of water which is enough to keep the tank topped up for approx 2 weeks. There is also air extraction built into the cabinet sitting just above the sump to take away any heat and damp air which is vented to the outside via under floor ducting and this keeps the sump area dry and cool as all my power and system power adapters are in here.

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2365&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2402&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2837&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

TANK

The tank is made from 19mm glass with polished edges and has 3 braces on the base and 3 braces at the top. There are 2 weirs each drilled with 3 holes for returns and overflows. The returns from the tank to the sump are plumbed independently and have shut off valves to ensure the flow and water level in the weirs can be kept even. The returns to the tank are tee'd from a single pump but flow can be balanced equally to each weir via valves. These return to the tank via home made spray bars. The overflows from each weir are also plumbed independently to the sump with no valves to ensure if the water level in the weirs rise to a certain level the water can freely return to the sump where The first chamber has a 40mm overflow hole at the top which is plumbed to the outside so if things do go wrong then the house won't flood.

WATER CHANGE SYSTEM

There is a 20mm hole in the top rear of the sump with a valve which is plumbed to the outside again with a valve and this is how i do my water change - the returns from the tank run to chamber 1 with shut off valves and socks but they are also tee'd to chamber 2 which also have shut off valves but no socks - let me explain if i can, I open the valves on the returns to chamber 2 and close valves on chamber 1, this leaves the tank running as normal but chamber 1 is now effectively isolated which leaves me free to open the drain on it and empty its contents to a drain outside. This chamber was designed to hold exactly 100 LTRs (my water change amount) when the chamber is empty i simply close the drain valve, wheel my bin containing the fresh salt water round and connect the pump to the water change pipe outside and pump the water into chamber 1. When this has been done all i have to do is close the 2 valves on the return to chamber 2 and open the valves on the returns on chamber 1 and my water change is done.

LIGHTING

The tank is lit with 5 x AI Vega led light units suspended fom the ceiling. My lighting period is below.

Sunrise starts at 1300 and ramps up over 3 hours with blues first and other colours following at intervals of approx 20 minutes.
    Sunset starts at 2130 and ramps down over 1.5 hours with blues the last to go off.

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2653&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

CIRCULATION

Circulation is provided by 2 x Vortech MP40WES powerheads at the front top of the tank, one on each end. There are also 2 x Jebao WP25 powerheads at the back low down on each end to give flow at the rear and I have 2 returns from the sump fed by a Waveline 10000 LPH pump running approx half power, these are directed back to the tank at the top surface (rear) via custom made spraybar with home made duckbills creating surface movement for greater oxygen generation.

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2912&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2844&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2918&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2865&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

FILTRATION

Approx 120KG of live rock in main Tank takes care of most of the filtration, but I also run 3 D&D FR509 reactors and 1 x Avast Mutiny 1 Ozone Reactor which are listed below. I use 2 filter socks on my returns from the tank and a Deltec SC2060 skimmer. I run a small refugium in the sump with Cheato which creates a haven for copepods and other critters. I use a TMC P1 UV unit along with a Red sea 200 ozone unit which in my opinion is a must as I keep Tangs.

• Reactor 1 - Running approx 500 Mls of Rowa Phos
    • Reactor 2 - Running approx 750 Mls of Bio Pellets
    • Reactor 3 - Running approx 200 Mls of carbon

Avast Mutiny - Fed by a Red Sea Ozone 200 Plus with a built in ORP controller which keeps my tank at a constant reading of 350. The return from the Avast Mutiny is fed into the sump via another reactor with a small amount of carbon to absorb any residual ozone.

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2828&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2836&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2915&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

HEATING & COOLING

I run 2 x JBL 300 watt heaters and an Arcadia 650 chiller. These are controlled by the STC 1000 temperature controller and keeps my tank at a constant 25 degrees.

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2789&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

SUPPLEMENTS

I run the Fauna Marin Baling Lite system along with Fauna Marin reef vitality and reef colours. I dose approx 150 Mls of KH daily, 30 Mls of calcium daily, 50 Mls of Mag daily. The reef vitality is dosed every 4 days and the reef colours are dosed weekly. All dosing is carried out automatically via a GHL dosing unit.

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2842&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

MONITORING & CONTROLLING

I test my water once every two weeks. I did test weekly but as the tank matured this became pointless. I test for Calcium - Mag - KH - Nitrate - Phosphate and PH. I run a UPS (uninteruptable power supply) on my crucial components like the return pump - STC 1000 - Skimmer and pellet reactor. The reason the pellet reactor is on this is because if the power to the pellet reactor is off for more than 2 Hrs then the water in it becomes toxic and if this enters the tank then it will kill everything and i mean everything.

FEEDING

I feed fish twice a day, usually Nori in the morning and a frozen mix in the evening. I feed corals once a week with either Phyto which i culture myself or frozen/pellet type food.

MAINTINANCE

• As you can imagine maintenance on a tank this size is not straight forward and I always have something to do.
    • I change the filter socks twice a week
    • I empty the skimmer cup twice a week and wash it out once a week
    • ORP probe cleaned once a week
    • Cover glasses cleaned once a week
    • Tank glass cleaned once a week
    • 100 LTR water change religiously once a week
    • Rowa Phos changed every quarter
    • Bio Pellets are just topped up when necessary
    • all pumps and powerheads cleaned every quarter
    • Sump cleaned every 6 months

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2684&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2679&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

PROBLEMS

I have had my fair share of problems with this tank. I have had to completely change the way I do things as what worked on my last tank did not work on this tank. I have had white spot - brooklynella and had a few corals die. Thankfully once I had got a regime that worked and the dosing under control the tank then stabilised and i can honestly say i have never looked back, that is until i go over old photos off the build and realised just how difficult and trying this build was and how much hard work and sweat went into it.

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2680&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

FISH STOCK

• Lipstick Tang (my fav)
    • 4 x Yellow Tangs
    • Powder Blue Tang
    • Regal Tang
    • Sailfin Tang
    • Bristol tooth Tang
    • Goldrim Tang
    • Vampire Tang
    • Sohal Tang
    • Atlantic Blue Tang
    • Foxface
    • Chocolate Tang
    • Marine Beta
    • 12 x Anthias
    • 1 x Royal Gramma
    • 2 x Common Clowns
    • Cleaner wrasse
    • 2 x Scooter Blennies
    • Bi Colour Blennie

This May sound like a lot of fish but trust me in a tank this size its not really.

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2691&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2675&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2676&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2596&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2729&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

I may have missed a few LOL.

Invertebrates

• 6 X Cleaner Shrimp
    • 2 x Blood Shrimp
    • lots of Blue and Red legged hermit crabs
    • Lots of Turbo Snails

CORAL STOCK

The list below is not them all as the tank is too big to list every one of them.

• Various Gonipora
    • Various Toadstools
    • Various Leathers
    • Various montipora
    • Various mushrooms
    • a few SPS

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2804&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2801&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2792&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2722&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2878&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2891&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

nirc galleryphp?dogallery image&ampid2617&ampgalgallery&amptypefull - Featured Reef - Capt Nemo's Monster Reef

SPECIAL THANKS

I would like to thank Dave and Chris for coming down and taking the pics and helping me write this post. I would like to thank my wife (Maree) for the rock work in the tank and for putting up with me and the mess and my moods during the build. A big thank you to David for his help on the structural side, listening to my woes and for keeping me sane in times of complete and utter exhaustion. A huge thanks to the team at Seahorse aquariums for all their help and advice during the build and for just being a very special shop. Lastly I want to thank the members of this forum for all their kind words and advice over the years. I thank you all.

2. Likes Stephen G, Pete liked this post
    Thanks Affiliate13 thanked for this post

Absolutely stunning Pete seen it in the flesh but I'm sure u have plenty more livestock since then

4. Thanks capt nemo thanked for this post

I have seen this tank in person over the years I've seen a lot of tanks but this tank is stunning I would say it's the best of all maybe because of the size if you get the chance to see it you will see something special peter has set the bar I hope my tank comes close some day all the best pete it's a credit to you.

6. Thanks capt nemo thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Keelan lily View Post
    Absolutely stunning Pete seen it in the flesh but I'm sure u have plenty more livestock since then
    Thanks Antony, no more stock mate just as you seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I have seen this tank in person over the years I've seen a lot of tanks but this tank is stunning I would say it's the best of all maybe because of the size if you get the chance to see it you will see something special peter has set the bar I hope my tank comes close some day all the best pete it's a credit to you.
    Thanks for your nice comments Pete but honestly mate I'm sure there are nicer tanks out there and I'm sure your tank will be very special.

Is there any corals Peter your still looking for and finding hard to get.

What can I say!

This is one of the most thought out tanks I have ever seen, fact! Every little fine detail has been thought of. It will be a pleasure watching this Monster fill out

11. Thanks capt nemo thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Is there any corals Peter your still looking for and finding hard to get.
    There are some Pete, I am after something really colourfull like a slimer but will take my time and keep my eyes open

Slimmer sounds nice some sps will help fill the tank out.

Completely outstanding peter and some serious thought to that build, lot of hard work and u got the results. Well done. Now just a few nice big colourful branching acros just to finish it of😎.

15. Thanks capt nemo thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast