Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

NIRC Committee - Secretary Disco_Mave's Avatar

Talking Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

Featured Reef- APRIL 2011

It is with great pleasure that I can announce we have a fantastic tank selected for Featured Reefs...yes it sure is 12 months from the last Featured Reefs but we will be doing our best to bring this back on track with a new tank every quarter. This fantastic tank, more or less on our doorsteps, is a brilliant example of what can be achieved with hard work, dedication, patience and a real passion for the hobby, we all share.

So big congratulations to Trigger (Kieran) on achieving this quarters Tank Of The Quarter.

Please post any comments you may have on this thread.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tank Size: 5ft x 2ft x 2ft Juwel Bow Front
    Sump Size: 36" x 15" x 15"
    Frag Tank: 48? x 15? x 15?
    System Volume: 650 Litres

2 1302467383 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

Introduction and System Information:
    Way back in about 1984 a workmate introduced me to Marine fish after I had been keeping tropicals for about 2 years. It was when Grosvenor Tropicals was Alf and Reenie and their place was on the Beersbridge Road. I thought I was the dogs dangly parts by keeping marines with undergravel filters, no live rock only limestone and tuffa rock with dead coral, a sump with trickle filter and what could only be described nowadays as candles for T8 tubes in comparison to what's available now and a protein skimmer was air pump driven. No auto top-ups, ordinary tap water and it was unknown to be able to keep corals alive with any success.

So to cut a long story short I was told GT had moved closer to home (Lisburn) that I took a trip up in March 2009 for a nosey. Like most of the guys here I started off small with a D-D 24g Nano and the bug just grabbed me. Next thing I had a Juwel 260 Bow front with a bank of eight TMC Aquarays, Deltec MC300 hang on skimmer and live rock of course, but fate changed for me and I ended up selling the lot to go to Australia for a few weeks, and guess what Australia is full of, yip, fecking marines and the trip to the Barrier reef didn't help.

So back I came and vowed I would get another tank. This systems was set up in April 2010 after a month of having an Aquamedic Percula 90 and the bug grew and grew. A few months down the line I spotted this:

Krzysztof Tryc's Reef Tank

That was it, that's what I wanted, so done a load of research, swapped and changed stuff, beg, stole and borrowed and got stuck in and now thankfully it is beginning to resemble Krzysztof's so I hope you enjoy it folks!

2 1302466746 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302466810 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302466849 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011
    Lighting:
    The main tank is lit with An ATI Dimmable Powermodule with GHL Profilux II, it has 8 x 54 watt T5?s - ATI Superblue x 4 , ATI Blue Plus x 2, KZ Fiji Purple x 1 and 1 x Arcadia Pure Actinic.

2 ati - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

My lighting period is as follows:
    1 Blue Plus and 1 Actinic on at 11:00am and taking 1 hour to reach 100% brightness then begin to shut down at 9:30pm until off at 10:30pm.
    4 ATI Superblue, 1 KZ Fiji Purpleon and 1 ATI Blue Plus at 11:30am and taking 30 minutes to reach 100% brightness then begin to shut down at 9:30pm until 10:00pm.
    The gradual increase and decrease of the dimmbar lighting can give some nice dramatic effects and ensure there is no ?shock? from an immediate turn on of the lights and a "cloud cover" section on the GHL is a nice wee touch too

2 1302466880 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467777 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

Circulation:
    1 x Koralia 8, 1 x Koralia 6 and 1 x Vortech MP40 W ES for flow and an eheim 1260 return from the sump and 1 x 1000l/hr Juwel Internal Filter pump, so about 70 odd times turnover without including Eheim 1260 return.

2 1302466934 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

Filtration:
    Approximately 55kg of live rock and some reefbones in the main display tank, along with a few pieces of live rock in the frag tank. I'm using a Deltec APF600 skimmer fed by an Eheim Compact 5000 which is ?T?d off to supply Cleartides Reactor containing Carbon and FM phosphate remover, and into another Cleartides reactor with NP Bio-pellets fed directly into the skimmer.

2 1302466990 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467025 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467071 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011
    Heating and Cooling:
    Three heaters, 1 x 300 watt in weir, 1 x 200 watt in sump and a 150 watt in frag tank. I haven?t had a need for a chiller or anything else to cool the tank and the tank temperature remains pretty stable at 25-26?°C.

Supplements:
    Using the GHL Standalone Doser and FM Balling salts, I dose 400ml of Sodium Bicarbonate daily, 85ml Calcium daily and 45ml Magnesium daily with added strontium, heavy metal complex and iodine. I add Zeo Coral Snow, Pohl?s Extra, Amino Acids and Coral Vitalizer on daily intervals.

Monitoring and Control:
    All test results are manually recorded with Salifert test kits, Hanna phosphate checker, KZ Potassium and D-D Refractometer. When the tank was first set up I monitored my water quality at intervals of about 4 days until Balling salts achieved the stability I wanted. The GHL Profilux II has it?s own temperature probe and Ph probe so I can check at a glance for details.

I record all parameters and test the following:
    Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity, Salinity, Phosphate, Nitrate, Nitrite, Potassium and dkH although nitrite would only be an occasional thing.

Feeding:
    I normally feed two small feeds one day, then one large feed every other day, corals are fed with Coral Snow, Cyclopeze, Artemia/Copepods

Maintenance:
    65 Litre water change religiously every week. All glass is cleaned on the tank 2-3 times a week. Skimmer cup is emptied and cleaned once per week. Carbon and Phosphate remover replaced every 4 weeks, I make up the Fauna Marin Balling salts as and when needed. I clean all pumps and powerheads every 6 months and replace T5?s every 8 months. The ATI Powermodule has an active cooling system and gives you a slightly longer lifespan on the tubes. I replace a small amount of filter floss every 2-3 weeks from sump inlet stage 1.

2 1302467215 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467246 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467275 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011
    Problems:
    Thankfully I haven?t had any major problems other tha allowing stupid things to happen like frags/corals falling and stinging eachother as I hadn't stuck them in permanently, although I have changed lights from halides, to LED?s and now T5?s, I?ve changed Balling salts supplies and upgraded the skimmer with the thought that the polyps extension on some corals wasn?t at all good only to find my Flame Angel was nipping at just about everything, once I removed him, the coral polyps really started to show themselves, all in all an expensive lesson to learn but I guess I have done myself a favour in the long run.

2 1302467308 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467348 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467417 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467448 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011
    Fish Stocks:
    • 2 x Common Clowns
    • 1 x Yellow Tang
    • 2 x Bartletts Anthias
    • 3 x Pink Anthias
    • 3 x Lyretail Anthias
    • 1 x Male Lyretail Anthias
    • 3 x Blue Yellow Tail Damsels
    • 1 x Neon Dottyback
    • 1 x Cleaner Wrasse

168 1302546144 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

168 1302546179 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

168 1302546214 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467106 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467482 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

Coral Stocks:
    As you will see I'm not really into all the art farty latin names but one may crop up if I don't know the common name.

• Green Merulina Montipora
    • Red Plating Montipora
    • Various Green Plating Montipora
    • Orange and Green Montipora Digitata
    • Green Bali Slimer
    • Blue Staghorn
    • Various Acropora Nana
    • Various Pocilipora
    • Various Stylopora
    • Deep water bottle brush Acropora
    • Various Pink, Blue, Green Acropora Miilipora
    • Acropora Effloresence
    • 2 x types of Turbinara
    • Red/Blue Acan
    • Large Red Brain
    • Large Green Brain
    • Red/Blue Brain
    • Pineapple Coral
    • Green Brain
    • Green Trumpet Coral
    • Green and Blue Acropra Humillis
    • Green Hydnophora
    • Various frags of unknown Acropora

2 1302467529 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467571 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

168 1302546457 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011 168 1302546430 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467647 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

2 1302467690 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011
    Invertebrates Stock:
    • 9 x Turbo Snails
    • 6 x Hermit Crabs
    • 2 x Cleaner Shrimop
    • 1 x Blood Shrimp
    • Dozens of Dove Snails

168 1302546252 - Featured Reefs - Trigger's Juwel 450 Conversion - April 2011

A special thanks:
    Lots of thanks to Dave and Carley for their great photography, to my mucker Maurice for talking me out of throwing the head up so many times with frustration and impatience and to all you guys for your input, information, frags, colonies and equipment I have bought off some of you at good prices and the world of information available through this site and many others.
    Last edited by Disco_Dave; 06-09-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Additional photo added showing ATI unit and bulbs :)
    Got any questions/comments/ideas about the NIRC feel free to email me on: carley@nirc.co.uk

Smashing setup u have there Trigger it is a credit to u, it shows in the dedication u have to ur maintance regime. Its a real boost to the rest of us all to see a setup like yours!!!!

A well deserved Featured Reefs.

Well deserved mate, Truely a crackin setup

NIRC Committee - Secretary Disco_Mave's Avatar

Totally agree Trevo, this is one outstanding tank and these pictures do not do the tank any justice at all. The colours of the SPS are simply stunning and it is full credit to Trigger for his complete dedication and committment to the hobby and pure love for marines. Well worth the 12 month Featured Reefs wait for this tank....lol

Keep up the brilliant work Trigger, hopefully this gives a lot of the guys on here something to aspire too
    Got any questions/comments/ideas about the NIRC feel free to email me on: carley@nirc.co.uk

Outstanding trigger mate, as trevo said its a real credit to u. Whats the secret lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Outstanding trigger mate, as trevo said its a real credit to u. Whats the secret lol.
    Thanks for all the great comments guys, it's really appreciated.

Alan I'm not sure there is a secret mate to be honest, maybe I'm a stickler for usually erring on the side of caution and check and re-check, test and re-test and try to stick to a regular pattern for water changes, adding supplements and feeding etc. But all in all I'd leave it to the advice I've been reading on the usual sites and trying to emulate guys like Krystovf.

was lucky enough 2 c this tank 4 real and i hav 2 say i was blown away without a doubt the nicest setup iv ever seen so well done trigger

Congratulations trigger your tank is stunning you are a worthy winner you have set a bench mark for all us.
    NIGE

Email: nige@nirc.co.uk

Congratulations Kieran, talked to you quite a few times and never imagined your tank would be as stunning as this. The fish have gone to a good home i see.

You have set the benchmark as Nigel says, id say it would be hard to find many who would put the effort and precision you do into your maintenance

Congratulations

Stunning tank trigger well done!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast